Is Your Boiler Costing You Money?

Running a household can be expensive, so it is important to save money where you can. There are lots of little ways that you can save money such as switching off appliances rather than putting them on standby or reducing the temperature on your washing machine.

You may have made these changes but notice that your energy bills are quite high. This may be a result of an inefficient boiler. Here are some key signs that your boiler is costing you money:

Your Boiler is Old

Typically, a boiler will last between 15-20 years, however, as it ages it may begin to lose efficiency. It will burn fuel at a faster rate and will start to cost you more money to run.

Boilers that are over 20 years old have a significantly reduced level of efficiency, with some being as little as 60% efficient. This means that only 60% of energy used by the boiler is for heating your home and the other 40% is lost.

If your boiler is older than 10 years, it may be best to consider replacing it as it will be more cost effective.

It Has a Low Energy Grade

Even if your boiler is relatively new, it may be poorly graded in terms of energy efficiency. We would always recommend purchasing an ‘A’ rated boiler as they are at least 90% efficient and will save you money.

If your boiler has been graded ‘F’ or ‘G’, it may be time to consider upgrading it to a more efficient model as you could save over €300 per year.  Find out your boiler’s efficiency rating here.

It Doesn’t Heat Up Properly

If you find that it takes a while for your house to heat up or your water runs cold quickly, it may be a sign that your boiler isn’t working properly. If this is the case, you should call an engineer to investigate the issue as it may be a minor issue that can be easily fixed. However, if this is a common problem, it might be a sign that it’s time to replace your boiler.

It Breaks Down a Lot

Does it feel like there’s always a problem with your boiler? If you find yourself continually calling an engineer or getting replacement parts, it may be time for a new one.  The amount of money you spend on callouts, quick fixes or replacement parts will add up quickly and would be much better spent on a new, energy efficient boiler.

If you recognise any of these signs, you should address it as soon as possible. This will ensure you are prepared for the colder months and save money in the long run. For more super saver tips, click here.

Share this

Google+Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail to someone
[contact-form-7 id="31158" title="Latest Offers & News"]